Filing a Campus Complaint

Humboldt State University is committed to creating a campus free from violence and takes seriously all reports of sexual assault, sexual harassment, intimate partner violence, domestic violence, stalking and/or retaliation. The University is committed to offering support to the survivor, preventing and responding to retaliation, investigating the allegation, and when the accused is found responsible, holding the perpetrator accountable.

To report any of the above incidents, you may contact:

  • Marcus Winder
    Campus Title IX Coordinator
    Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation Prevention Administrator
    1 Harpst Street, Arcata, CA 95521
    Telephone:   (707) 826-3385
    Office hours: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday


He will provide you with options for support and accommodations as well as possibilities for holding accountable the person who harmed you.

To receive confidential support and/or to discuss your options at any time in the process, you can call the HSU Campus Advocate Team made up of the North Coast Rape Crisis Team on their 24-hour free hotline at (707) 445-2881 or Humboldt Domestic Violence Services on their 24-hour crisis line at 1-866-668-6543.

HSU Counseling & Psychological Services is completely confidential if you are over the age of 18.

Other HSU employees who are able to offer support confidentially, except in cases when reporting is required by law because of an imminent threat to the broader campus community or the involvement of person(s) under 18 years of age:

Mira Friedman, HSU Lead for Health Education and Clinic Support Services
(707) 826-5234 |

Mary Sue Savage, Prevention Coordinator
(707) 826-5235 |

If you decide to tell any other HSU staff or faculty member about any violation of the HSU Sexual Misconduct Policy, they are required to notify the Dean of Students who will contact you to offer support services and assistance with filing a complaint or, in some circumstances, beginning an informal resolution process.

Students who report having survived an incident of sexual violence will not be subject to discipline for related violations of the Student Conduct Code, including violations of University drug or alcohol policies, except in extreme cases involving harm to others.

By contacting the Campus Title IX Coordinator, Marcus Winder, and filing a complaint with the Student Conduct System, you may be able to access the following types of support on campus:

  • changes to academic or living situations;
  • an arrangement for you to re-take or withdraw from a class without penalty;
  • academic support services, such as tutoring;
  • a review of any proposed disciplinary actions against you to see if there is a causal connection between the discipline and the alleged incident;
  • in extraordinary cases where safety may be endangered, an escort between campus locations;
  • assistance with receiving priority appointments at CAPS and the Student Health Center

The  will discuss with you at which point you will be able to stop the complaint process and at which point the process might continue against your wishes.

Information provided to University employees shall by shared with other employees and law enforcement exclusively on a “need to know” basis. HSU is required to attempt to honor any request for confidentiality, however the University must also weigh requests for confidentiality against its duty to provide a safe and nondiscriminatory environment for all members of the campus community. Confidentiality, therefore, cannot always be ensured.

Learn more about the informal resolution process

Learn move about the process of filing a complaint

If you would like,  Campus Title IX Coordinator will work with you to complete the Student Complaint Form. Or access it here. Completed forms may be submitted to Marcus Winder in Siemen's Hall 215C

If you are a student employee and the incident happened in your workplace, click here for more information.

Note that discrimination, harassment or retaliation complaints that involve a grade appeal will simultaneously follow the procedure explained in Executive Order 1073 and 1074 (pg. 6).

Alternatively or in addition to filing a complaint with HSU Student Conduct System, you may file a report with the University Police Department or another local law enforcement agency. Find out more information about reporting options at UPD or another law enforcement agency.

This project was supported by Grant No. 2012-WA-AX-0004 awarded by the Office on Violence Against Women, U.S. Department of Justice. The opinions, findings, conclusions, and recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Department of Justice, Office of Violence Against Women.